Current:Home > InvestFastexy:Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules -GrowthInsight
Fastexy:Prince Harry was not unfairly stripped of UK security detail after move to US, judge rules
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:54:33
LONDON — Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and Fastexymoved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday.
Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media.
His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry’s security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke’s safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the “tragic death” of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the “likely significant public upset were a successful attack” on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
Prince Harry wins,settles phone hacking lawsuit, will continue 'mission' of taking on press
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Prince Harrywins 'widespread and habitual' phone hacking lawsuit against British tabloid
veryGood! (21351)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Judge orders Texas to remove floating border barriers, granting Biden administration request
- Company pulls spicy One Chip Challenge from store shelves as Massachusetts investigates teen’s death
- The 27 Most-Loved Wedding Gifts from Amazon With Thousands of 5-Star Reviews
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Descendants of a famous poet wrestle with his vexed legacy in 'The Wren, The Wren'
- Biden aims to use G20 summit and Vietnam visit to highlight US as trustworthy alternative to China
- The UK is rejoining the European Union’s science research program as post-Brexit relations thaw
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- New Rules Help to Answer Whether Clean Energy Jobs Will Also Be Good Jobs
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- As U.S. warns North Korea against giving Russia weapons for Ukraine, what could Kim Jong Un get in return?
- Slave descendants on Georgia island face losing protections that helped them keep their land
- Ohio will keep GOP-drawn congressional maps in 2024 elections, ending court challenge
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Taylor Momsen was 'made fun of relentlessly' for starring in 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'
- Archaeologists discover 1,000-year-old mummy in one of South America's biggest cities
- Catholic-Jewish research substantiates reports that Catholic convents sheltered Jews during WWII
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Kosovo’s president says investigators are dragging their feet over attacks on NATO peacekeepers
First day of school jitters: Influx of migrant children tests preparedness of NYC schools
11-year-old boy to stand trial for mother's murder
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Stock market today: Asian shares fall as China reports weaker global demand hit its trade in August
3 lifesaving tech essentials for every school child - parents, read this now
Colorado QB Shedeur Sanders gets timely motivation from Tom Brady ahead of Nebraska game